Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! is a 2020 anime adapted from the manga of the same name (by Sumito Oowara). This show is produced by Science Saru and directed by Masaki Yuuasa, notable for being behind more surreal works.
The "eizouken" in this case mean "motion pictures club", which are what the main cast are involved in. Asakusa Midori is a high school girl who aspires to make her own anime (and concept art) after watching Future Boy Conan and despite her friend, Kanamori Sayaka, lacking any sort of interest in anime, she eventually takes in the role as the producer.
Why It Rocks
- The music is rather great.
- It has a catchy theme song sung by chelmico.
- The ending theme is also awesome, performed by the rock band Kami-sama, I have noticed.
- Glorious voice acting.
- The character design not only makes sense for the show's tone, it doesn't really rely on making them, especially the girls, "generically cute" or "moe". The first two girls introduced have prominent features - with Asakusa's froglike face and Kanamori's bored grimace - making Mizusaki stand out. It also refrains the use of giving every character the same face which is also a nice attention to detail.
- Even if it is a show about making anime, considering Asakusa's passion to draw and create her own new worlds, the parts where the characters explore their own imagination make sense and don't jarringly transition. This even ranges to one moment, where she and Mizusaki imagine they're repairing a spaceship when they're at the roof at one point.
- Another attention to detail ls that not all of the people, including background characters aren't light skinned. In fact, there's positive representation of dark skinned people!
- The ending theme despite it being awesome feels like it's too "epic-sounding" for the show. Especially compared to the kind of goofy opening theme...
- The imagination scenes can feel random, though.
- Doumeki and Sowande, being notable people of color in the series, are just reduced to being minor characters.
- Many people can find this show slightly similar to Ed, Edd n Eddy due to the main characters having the same height.