Kenan & Kel
Kenan & Kel (stylized "KEnAN & KeL") is an American teen sitcom created by Kim Bass for Nickelodeon. It starred All That cast members Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell. It ran from 1996 to 2000.
The show follows the misadventures of two high-school friends who are always scheming and dreaming. Kenan, who works at a grocery store, constantly devises crazy plans to strike it rich, while orange-soda-loving buddy Kel is always dragged along for the ride despite his track record for messing things up.
Why It Rocks
- Kenan and Kel are a hilarious take on the classic buddy duo comedy, where one of the characters is a clever schemer and the other is dumb but loyal.
- Fantastic characters, Like Kenan, Kel, Roger, Sheryl, and Chris.
- Funny jokes.
- Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell even stared in a hilarious feature-length movie called Good Burger.
- Catchy theme song by Coolio, who wrote "Gangsta's Paradise" a year before the series began.
- It's Movie Two Heads are better than None is a great way to end the show.
- The theme song is really catchy, and could just get stuck in to your head, for
- Kel's over-acting doesn't come off as annoying and enhances his character being a complete moron.
- Memorable catchphrases. Most notably, "Who loves orange soda? Kel loves orange soda! Is it true? Mmmhmm! I do, I do, I do-oooo!" and Kenan's "WHYYYY?????" screams.
- Every episode begins and ends with Kenan and Kel greeting the audience literally and making a brief skit regarding the episode.
- Some unlikeable characters like Marc Cram, as he rather portrayed as a Nerd stereotype and most of his jokes are rather unfunny and just plain flat, however he does become less of a Nerdy stereotype later on.
- Kel was very annoying in seasons 3-4 due to his idiocy increasing, although he slightly reverted to his original self in Two heads are Better than None. He can also still be considered likable, depending on your view.
- It still is prone to awful episodes, such as Natural Born Kenan and The Raffle.
- Seasons 3-4, while still decent, aren’t as good as seasons 1-2 due to Kel’s idiocy increasing (as mentioned in BQ#1), and the show’s humor becoming less mature.
- Kyra, Kenan's younger sister can be very annoying and unlikable at times due to her crush on Kel.
- The show unfortunately had no reference to any subsequent Dan Schneider shows, and his shows have had references to each other, despite the fact that actors Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell have appeared in late Schneider shows, such as Kenan who appeared in the iCarly and Victorious crossover, or Kel who appeared in Sam & Cat and even played a different character in Game Shakers, there were never any references to the show itself.