Last Exile is a 2003 Japanese science-fiction anime series by GONZO. The sequel series, Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing, was launched in fall 2011.
The show takes place in a post-apocalyptic future on the "planet" Prester. Claus Valka and Lavie Head are vanship pilots who work as mail couriers. They dream of fulfilling their parents' destiny and cross the mysterious and dangerous Grand Stream. One day,when competing in a race, they have to take over the dying pilot's job and safely deliver the mysterious girl Alvis to the pirate ship Silvana. Their adventures are only starting.
Why It Rocks
- It has a really great and detailed storyline.
- Well-done animation and CGI for 2003 standarts.
- Most vehicles in the show are well-designed.
- A lot of well-written and likeable characters including Claus,Lavie and Alex.
- Many sad and heartwarming moments,especially the ending scene.
- The show,despite it's dark tone,manages to be lighter when needed.
- Delphine Eraclea is a menacing villain.
- Epic race and battle scenes.
- Some characters didn't start off as well as they went on:
- Mullin Shetland is an overall decent character,but when he became part of Silvana's crew,he took the status of the show's butt-monkey.
- Dio seems to act like a spoiled brat at first,before you know about how abusive his sister is.
- Delphine herself is a bland character and her motivation isn't clear.
- The plot was jumping between several storylines too rapidly at some points.
- The sequel series, Fam the Silver Wing, was a major downgrade compared to the original show.
- Some plot holes remained unsolved,like why Alvis was the "key" to the Exile.
Last Exile has a 7,9 rating on IMDb.com. It's often considered the best work of the GONZA studio.