Like Gene for Chocolate (Bob’s Burgers)
“Like Gene for Chocolate” is the 12th episode of the 7th season of Bob’s Burgers, and the 119th episode overall.
After the formula of his favorite candy changes, Gene befriends the son of the founder of Spratt’s Sweets in hope of getting the candy he knows back. Meanwhile, Bob assists Teddy with taking golf balls from a lake.
Why It Rocks
- This episode has a great moral about not giving up, and finishing what you’ve started.
- Gene’s determination to bring back the old formula of his favorite candy makes him likable.
- The side story with Bob and Teddy trying to retrieve golf balls from a lake is good and entertaining as well.
- Gene’s still a charming comic relief character with good one-liners such as “Time to un-give-up!”
- The Spratt’s Sweets building, most notably Ferdinand’s room, looks very colorful and appealing.
- An entertaining and well-written conflict between Gene and Ferdinand with great jokes such as Betrayal Mix.
- A decent chase scene where Bob and Teddy are running from guards and guard dogs in a golf cart.
- A great and memorable ending where Gene nearly convinced the Spratt’s Sweets company to bring the old formula of Chunky Blast-Offs back by making the workers nostalgic, and ends up getting a whole box of the original formula.
- Ferdinand becomes unlikable due to cutting off the deal he made with Gene.
- The ending, while mostly good, is ruined due to the company not being able to afford to bring back the old Chunky Blast-Offs.
Like Gene For Chocolate got a 7.5 on IMDB.