Man's Best Friend (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
Man's Best Friend was the banned episode of The Ren & Stimpy Show, and is also an episode of the show's second season using digital ink and painting instead of cel animation. It was supposed to be the sister episode of "Ren's Toothache". but was replaced by "Rubber Nipple Salesmen" due to a scene of Ren beating up George Liquor with an oar.
Despite being banned, this episode is produced in 1992.
After buying them from the pet store, a man named George Liquor trains Ren and Stimpy to be champions.
Why It Rocks
- Is the done right version of the infamous It's a Dog's Life from Season 4.
- Ren beating George with an oar was hilarious.
- George gets what he deserves at the end.
- Funny one-liners such as, "Maybe I would take the car, but the goldfish took it."
- And George Liquor's response. "You know what we do with smart-mouths around here? We give 'em another twenty bucks!"
- "It's discipline that begins love!"
- A little bit too much toilet humor and tobacco references.
- It got banned because of WIR #2, leading to John Kricfalusi, the creator of the show, getting fired from Nickelodeon. This episode was not the only main reason that caused its firing from the network, but also the hostile work environment, missing deadlines and the delaying of the various episodes were also the main reasons why he got fired from Ren & Stimpy.
- Depending on your view, the episode mocking American culture could be either funny, or plain out offensive.
Well-known cartoon devotee Thad Komorowski gave it five out of five stars on his Sick Little Monkeys: The Unauthorized Ren & Stimpy Story book, calling it "one of the most wonderful and insane cartoons of the series."