Mashin Sentai Kiramager
Mashin Sentai Kiramager (魔進戦隊キラメイジャー Mashin Sentai Kirameijā), translated as Machine Squadron Sparkling Ranger, is the 44th season of Super Sentai. The show's themes are gemstones and vehicles.
The series premiered on the Sunday morning Super Hero Time block alongside Kamen Rider Zero-One after its predecessor Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger concluded its run on March 1, 2020. After Zero-One's finale on August 30, 2020, Kamen Rider Saber joined Kiramager in the Super Hero Time block.
Why It Shines
- This was the first full Super Sentai season of the Reiwa Era.
- This show aired alongside Kamen Rider Zero-One, another well-received show from the tokusatsu franchise.
- The rangers are very likable and some pretty distinctive.
- Juru Atsuta/Kiramai Red is naive (in a good way) and the new kid on the block and he can draw kinds of stuff that he imagines.
- Tametomo Imizu/Kiramai Yellow is an E-Sports star shooter.
- Sena Hayami/Kiramai Green is a speed demon and a daredevil athlete.
- Shiguru Oshikiri/Kiramai Blue is a popular movie star and the comic-relief of the team.
- Sayo Oharu/Kiramai Pink is a surgeon.
- Takamichi Crystalia/Kiramai Silver is the oldest.
- The mentor, Muryou Hakataminami was funny and helpful in the show. He was amazingly portrayed by PIKOTARO.
- The humor is unique.
- The suit design was pretty cool.
- Yodonheim is an intimidating threat to the Kiramagers.
- It recently had a crossover with Ryusoulger, which was very well received.
- The theme song and the ending are a bit catchy to listen to.
- Decent-looking suit designs.
- The fights are pretty cool. The choreographers did a really good job there.
- It (loosely) celebrates the 45th anniversary despite not actually being the anniversary season itself.
- The visor of each member resembles a past Super Sentai member.
- The MoTw or Jamen resembles the monster of the week, from the very first sentai season (Himitsu Sentai Gorenger).
- They are, coincidentally, the 45th team if counting the Lupinrangers and Patrangers as separate teams rather than as one unified team.
- It's toyline sold very poorly, since Mirai Sentai Timeranger, though it's understandable why it sold poorly in the first place.
- Galza's Redemption was very underwhelming, rushed and felt out of place.
- Kiramager is the only Super Sentai show to have been completely interrupted in production to date. Production was reported to have stopped after Rio Komiya had been diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 31 and resumed on June 1.
- Since episode 14, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, they started using face masks, which can be unsightly for some, considering face masks are used to protect people from said real-life pandemic.
- In episode 19, Tametomo was doing the floss, proving that the writers were desperately trying to be hip and cool with the kids and trying to make this season modern.
- Despite being the 45th team on the 45th year of Sentai, they still generally celebrate the anniversary every five years after Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger (as opposed to Gorenger).
- This show was very short (behind JAKQ Dengekitai), only lasting for 45 episodes.
- And to top it all off, it aired alongside Kamen Rider Saber in the 2nd Half, a very flawed Kamen Rider season.
- There was supposed to be a summer movie for Kamen Rider Zero-One: REAL×TIME on July 23, 2020, However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was postponed to Spring 2021, no longer being double-billed with Zero-One's film.