Moominvalley is a 2019 Finnish-British animated family drama series. An adaptation of the classic Moomin books and comics by writer-illustrator Tove Jansson and her brother Lars Jansson, it is created using new techniques in 3D CGI.
The protagonist of the series is Moomintroll, who is curious, kind, sensitive and idealistic. He is a typical teenage hero in a coming-of-age story: he tries to tackle the puzzle of growing up to his true, individualistic self while remaining a beloved part of the family. He lives with his caring Moominmamma and nostalgic Moominpappa. Moomintroll is joined by his best friend, the free-spirited wanderer Snufkin, the chaotic Little My, daydreamer Snorkmaiden, cowardly Sniff, and many other friends. So far it has ran for 2 series and a third series has been announced.
Why it Rocks
- Incredible and beautiful 3D CGI animation.
- It stays true to the book series by Tove Jansson
- Some very memorable lines of dialogue
- Fantastic, expressive and emotional voice acting from every character, especially from Taron Egerton as Moomintroll
- It has a very good, suitable and calming tone but also includes elements of fear
- Excellent soundtrack. It is calming and modern. The soundtrack includes girl in red, MØ, First Aid Kit and many other great artists
- Some really funny moments
- Very likeable characters such as Moomintroll, Moominpapa, Moominmama, Snufkin and many more
- Relatable characters
- Very creative character designs in a unique art style
- Moomintroll seems to have grown older in this version compared to the 1990 anime
- The show had spawned some hilarious Internet memes and videos
- New generations get to watch the Moomins and their friends
- Snufkin and Moomintroll's friendship is very pleasant
- More wonderful characters are introduced in the second season such as Too-ticky and Thingumy and Bob. These characters received less attention in the English dub of the 1990 anime.
- Snork will be introduced in series 3.
- The Groke returned. She might scare some children. This character had given children nightmares when she appeared in the previous TV instalment
- Some episodes recycle plots from episodes in the 1990 anime
- There are 2 Moomin theme parks. The Moomins are loved even more today
- Some of Snufkin's quotes are overused by the fans and can get a bit annoying after a while.
- Jack Rowan will voice Moomintroll in series 3.