My Hero Academia
My Hero Academia (Japanese: 僕のヒーローアカデミア, Hepburn: Boku no Hīrō Akademia) is a Superhero Comedy anime series by Bones. It is based on Kōhei Horikoshi's manga of the same name. Its first season aired in Japan from April 3 to June 26, 2016, followed by a second season from April 1 to September 30, 2017, then a third season from April 7 to September 29, 2018, then a fourth season from October 12, 2019 to April 4, 2020, and A fifth season has been announced. An animated film titled GMW was released on August 3, 2018 and a second animated film titled My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising was released on December 20, 2019.
On an Earth-like world where people with superpowers known as "Quirks" (個性, Kosei) are the norm, Izuku "Deku" Midoriya is a regular middle school student who has dreams of one day becoming a hero despite being bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood bully Katsuki Bakugō from a Villain, the world's greatest Hero All Might bestows upon him his own quirk "One For All". The story follows Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School (雄英高校, Yūei Kōkō), a school that cultivates the next generation of superheroes.
Why It Rocks
- Beautiful art and animation. Every character looks like they originated from different works of visual media. The action scenes are a visual treat, with battles taking place in the air and on the ground.
- Top-notch sound design. The music by Yuki Hayashi (Blood Lad, Death Parade, Haikyu!!) is delightful and the voice acting is a pleasure in all languages: Japanese, English, French, and German. Choices of voice actors are excellent, including, but not limited to, Daiki Yamashita as Izuku Midoriya (Gurio Umino from Sailor Moon Crystal and Yuzuhira Kanade from Anonymous Noise), Nobuhiko Okamoto as Katsuki Bakugo (Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist), Kaito Ishikawa as Tenya Iida (Genos from One-Punch Man), Yuki Kaji as Shoto Todoroki (Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan and Ayato Kirishima from Tokyo Ghoul), and Toshiki Masuda as Eijiro Kirishima (Shark from Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL). Kenta Miyake (Zodd Nosferatu from Berserk) sounds absolutely righteous as All Might, and Koki Uchiyama (Meruem from Hunter X Hunter) sounds downright frightening as Tomura Shigaraki. The intro and outro songs are masterpieces to listen to.
- Amazing storytelling, pathos, and an interesting premise mixed very well to create a captivating story.
- Great, lovable characters (for the most part. Look at the first bad quality). The rest of the characters from Class 1-A finally get to shine in the second movie, Heroes: Rising rather than being overshadowed, like in Two Heroes.
- All the superpowers- sorry, Quirks, are very fun. From explosions to super speed, from gravikinesis to both pyrokinesis AND cryokinesis in one, the list goes on.
- Given its superhero genre, it should appeal to non-Japanese audiences who are not overly familiar with anime and manga, just like One-Punch Man does. Horikoshi has even stated that MHA was inspired by Marvel and DC heroes.
- English-dubbed episodes premiere almost immediately after original Japanese episodes. In fact, Season 3 episodes air in both Japanese AND English on the exact same day at the exact same time.
- Speaking of the English dub, it garnered universal praise, with the director of the show calling it "perfect." Especially Justin Briner (Midoriya), Christopher R. Sabat (All Might), Clifford Chapin (Bakugo), Colleen Clinkenbeard (Momo), Monica Rial (Tsuyu), and Luci Christian (Uraraka), among others, all the voice actors match the characters just as much as the Japanese, French, German, Italian, Filipino, and Tagalog voice actors do.
- Unusual for an action series, it's short, meaning people will watch the complete series without stopping midway. Season 1 only has 13 episodes, and Seasons 2, 3 and 4 have only 25 each, totaling 88. Include the Season 1 recap and both specials and you get 81 episodes (83 if two movies are counted as two long episodes). Whether this is good or bad is up to you to decide.
- The soundtrack You Say Run, is awesome, catchy and good to listen to.
- It has many awesome villains, like Tomura Shigaraki, All for One, Dabi, Stain, Overhaul, Gentle Criminal, La Brava, and High End.
- The movies, Two Heroes and Heroes: Rising, are very well-received and enjoyable to watch.
- It also has some very good role models like All Might, and very inspirational messages such as making sacrifices to save others you care about, staying true to yourself, and the fact that anyone can be a hero, even without a Quirk.
- Some characters like Katsuki Bakugo, Minoru Mineta and Endeavor can be unlikable at times. However, the former is now tolerable as the series goes on as he is less mean to Deku and tries to learn from his mistakes.
- Tsuyu's English voice, while still amazing, can be a bit off-putting. It's best described as "Peridot with a cold".
- One of their original soundtracks, You Say Run, has become an internet meme.