Mystery Meat (Danny Phantom)
"Mystery Meat" is the first episode of the television series Danny Phantom.
Danny has recently gained ghostly powers and is still learning to use them. Sam has convinced the school to change its lunch menu to one that suits her ultra-recyclo-vegetarian tastes, angering both other students and a ghostly lunch lady.
Why It Rocks
- This episode introduced the main protagonist named Danny Fenton, his two best friends, Sam Manson and Tucker Foley, his older sister Jazz, as well as his parents, Jack and Maddie.
- It showed a prologue about Jack talking to his son and Danny's friends about his past and while Danny goes ghost off screen and defeats the ghosts.
- The animation is pretty good, that shares the same art style from Butch Hartman's other series, The Fairly OddParents and the voice acting is pretty great.
- It was also introduced Lunch Lady Ghost, the first main villain, who gets angry about Sam changing the lunch menu.
- Awesome moments like where Sam and Tucker protects Danny and he's says I'm Going Ghost, and he transforms into a ghost superhero, known as Danny Phantom and the Lunch Lady Ghost transforms into a meat monster, this time even larger than before, and summons meat minions using the meat from Tucker's protest.
- Besides it, it was also focused on the sub plot, where Jack and Maddie believes that Jazz is a ghost, due to the fact that Jazz tells them that their ghost hunting is bad for Danny's development.
- The idea of Sam and Tucker fighting about the protests between vegetarian and meat was quite brilliant.
- The action scene is near perfect, where Danny uses the Fenton Thermos captures and defeats the Lunch Lady Ghost.
- While the ending is decent, it was disappointing where Danny and his friends were forced by Mr. Lancer to clean up the mess. However, that Dash did get his comeuppance, where Danny uses his powers to phase open the dumpster, spilling all the meat onto Dash, who asks for help.
The Only Bad Quality
- Sam was quite unlikable, since she is the one who changes the lunch menu.
- This episode was received 7.3/10 on IMDb.
- This episode was aired on April 3, 2004, right after the 2004 Kids’ Choice Awards on Nickelodeon
- This episode was re-aired on November 22, 2007, as part of the Super Stuff Nicktoons Weekend, alongside with the other first episodes for Nicktoons.