Niko and the Sword of Light
Niko and the Sword of Light is an American animated web television series co-produced by Amazon Studios and Titmouse Inc,.The series is based on an animated comic book of the same name and debuted on Amazon Video as a pilot that premiered January 15, 2015.
Ten-year-old Niko, the last of his kind in a strange world, embarks on an epic quest to bring light back to his land. Armed with his magic sword and accompanied by Princess Lyra, Niko journeys to the Cursed Volcano, making new friends and powerful foes while uncovering secrets about his mysterious past.
Why It Rocks
- Niko and the Sword of Light is an interesting amalgam, trying to balance some good storytelling and a unique fantasy world with the simplicity of children's programming.
- The show is animated by Titmouse Inc. which is always a plus.
- The story has a great balance of adventure and humor while conveying a strong message about how believing in yourself and never giving up can enable you to achieve great things, even when the going gets really tough!
- The characters bring this message and the spirit of adventure alive in a way that will really engage and inspire young people.
- An amazing, wide voice cast with Kari Wahlgren, Tom Kenny, Steven Blum, Dee Bradley Baker, Jim Cummings, Kevin Michael Richard, and newcomer Andre Robinson.
- The show is able to distinguish itself by being well-paced and engaging.
- The backstory of Princess Lyra and the villain are both fleshed out.
- The setup is surprisingly similar to Samurai Jack; a 'shape-shifting master of darkness' is challenged by a pure-of-heart hero with a magic sword.
- This is still a children's show with on-the-nose dialogue, simple character motivation, and easy-to-understand message themes.