Noragami is an action, adventure, romance, comedy, romantic comedy, drama, fantasy, contemporary fantasy, urban fantasy,
Japanese anime series. It started with a manga series which was written by Adachitoka and published by Kodansha for the magazine Monthly Shonen Magazine. It originally ran from December 6, 2010 to Present, and it currently has 18 volumes in total. After that came the first season of the anime adaptation. It was directed by Kotaro Tamura, written by Hitomi Mieno, musically composed by Taku Iwasaki, and produced by Studio Bones. It originally aired from January 5, 2014 to March 23, 2014, and lasted for 12 normal episodes and 2 OVA episodes in total. And finally after that came the second season of the anime series, titled Noragami Aragoto. It was directed by Kotaro Tamura, written by Hitomi Mieno, musically composed by Taku Iwasaki, and produced by Studio Bones. It originally aired from October 2, 2015 to December 25, 2015, and it lasted for 13 normal episodes and 2 OVA episodes in total. This makes 25 normal episodes and 4 OVA episodes in in total, or 29 episodes in all.
Why It Rocks
- While the final villain of Season 1, Rabo, wasn't in the manga, he was so interesitng and well written that nobody seemed to care, even manga readers, which is rare.
- Incredible soundtrack.
- The growing relationship between Yato and Iki Hiyori is incredibly engaging and emotional, but also humorous at times.
- Amazing animation.
- All of the main characters are flawed but still likeable and fun to follow. From Yato, to Iki Hiyori, to Yukine, to Bishamonten, to Kofuku, among others.
- Very appealing art style and character designs.
- Bishamonten is probably the most complex character. Season 2 focuses much more heavily around her, and she becomes incredibly interesting, likable, and complicated, and gets character development, despite being kind of the secondary antagonist of that season.
- Great voice acting in both sub and dub.
- Outstanding fights. All of the Gods, from Yato to Bishamon, are fun to watch engaging in battle with each other, using their unique abilities, called Regalia, to do so.
- Surprisingly excellent comedy.
- Another unique and enjoyable relationship is the sort of big sister little brother relationship that Iki Hiyori and Yukine have in the series.
Noragami was the 14th top selling manga series in Japan during the first half of 2014.