One Journey Ends, Another Begins... (Pokémon the Series: Sun and Moon)
One Journey Ends, Another Begins... (ニャビー、旅立ちの時！Litten, Journey Departure Time!) is the 21st episode of Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon. This episode is known for it's depressing tone and mature ending.
The stray Litten that Ash has met before asks him for help. It appears an old Stoutland that the Litten lives with has grown weaker and Litten needs his help to cure him. During their time together, the bond between them begins to change forever.
Why It Rocks
- Unlike TTSW from The Loud House, it's premise on handling change and loss of friends, in a slice-of-life comedy action kids show like Pokemon is handled brilliantly.
- Like the Mimikyu episode, it isn’t the only weighty episode of the season that handles dark themes efficiently.
- The 20th-anniversary double episode actually tackled the topic of Pokemon death head-on, and it was handled amazingly.
- Throughout this episode, leaves keep falling from a single tree, giving the episode poignancy and urgency about the Stoutland's life.
- Ash is surprisingly mature in the episode, helping the mischievous Litten who caused problems for him before and his fatherly Stoutland because it was the right thing to do.
- The ending. A gust of wind blows the last leaf away, causing Litten to chase after it, seeing a rainbow in the sky as a cloud forms resembling Stoutland; exactly like the one he lost, though Litten looks appease by it.
The Only Bad Quality
- Although this sounds rather nitpicky to you, but the remaining minutes show Litten joining Ash’s crew, and the episode returns to the pacing and feeling of your typical Sun Moon episode.