One Piece (stylized as ONE PIECE) is a Japanese anime television series adapted from the manga of the same name by Eiichiro Oda. The story follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy, a boy whose body gained the properties of rubber after unintentionally eating a Devil Fruit. With his crew of pirates, named the Straw Hat Pirates, Luffy explores the Grand Line in search of the world's ultimate treasure known as "One Piece" in order to become the next Pirate King. Since its premiere in Japan, over 1000 episodes have aired, and has been exported to various countries around the world.
Why It Will Become The King Of The Pirates
- Amazing animation during dramatic scenes and fight scenes.
- Incredibly interesting villains. From Big Mom and her pirate crew, to Kaido and his pirate crew, to Crocodile and his organization Baroque Works, to Blackbeard and his pirate crew, to all of the marines, especially the admirals and fleet admiral; the list just goes on and on.
- Excellent soundtrack.
- Tons of excellent fight scenes. The fights aren't that interesting early on, as Luffy tended to just one-shot everyone, but later in the story they become much more difficult, much longer, much more interesting and much more epic and with much higher stakes.
- Unique art style and character designs.
- Outstandingly unique abilities. The Devil Fruits provide for lots of creativity, similar to the Zanpakuto in Bleach or Ninjutsu in Naruto. There's standard abilities, such as elemental control, but there's non standard ones, such as turning into rubber. Also, the power system is incredibly well fleshed out and complex. From Devil Fruits, to Haki, ect.
- Good voice providing both Japanese and English (Funimation's dub). As Naoko Takeuchi did with Sailor Moon, the English dub voice actors were handpicked by Eiichiro Oda, the creator of the franchise.
- Phenomenal worldbuilding, often the thing that fans praise the most. The world of One Piece is unbelievably huge and vast, with tons of creative creatures, characters, and environments.
- The show has some good comedy.
- Aside from the anime, the series also has tons of video games, anime movies, speicals, and OVA's, so even if you finish the main story, you can still get sucked into other side stories with these characters.
- Lots of plot twists that you won't see coming, but are still foreshadowed, sometimes years in advance.
- Luffy gets some character development later on which makes him less naive, although he still resembles the old Luffy.
- Lots of dramatic moments that make you feel for the characters, stand outs being Brook, Nami, and Robin.
- The story arcs in One Piece also hold lots of variety, from one involving food, (Whole Cake Island), to arcs involving royalty, (Alabasta and Dressrosa), to arcs involving samurai and ninja, (Wano Kuni).
- A perfect blend of amazing male and female characters, unlike many of its contemporaries.
- While it doesn't happen all the time, there are times when major characters die in the series. The deaths are good to give the story a sense of realism given the subject material, while it doesn't happen so often that it becomes predictable.
- Also, when a character dies in this story, they're dead forever.
- The villains aren't the only good characters; there are also tons of memorable and likable heroes, including Zoro, Nami, Robin, and Red Haired Shanks, among many, many others.
- Exceptional foreshadowing.
- Like many long running anime, the anime version has an insane amount of filler content.
- Like what WIR 2 says, the fights aren't very interesting early on, with Luffy 1-hitting every single one of them; thankfully, they get much better and more length later.
- The animation isn't usually that great unless there's a major dramatic scene or a major fight scene. In fact, the animation quality got a little stiff during later seasons.
- Even if you take all filler out, the extreme length of the series more often than not deters people from attempting to watch it.
- Even episodes that adapt the manga can have filler due to Toei Animation adapting one chapter per episode.
- The original 4Kids dub is infamous for how horrible it is. In fact, there's even a page for that version on Terrible TV Shows wiki & Horrible Dubs Wiki. Thankfully after 104 episodes, 4Kids dropped the licensing once Toei legally allowed them to, and Funimation took over. Not only undoing the damage 4Kids left upon it, but continuing to present after that.
- While some of the comedy is good, other comedy can fall flat, especially when the comedy solely revolves around Luffy.
- Luffy's idiocy can be annoying and unlikable at times.
- Only 2 characters have suffered from flanderization, notable victims of flanderization are Sanji & Chopper, as Sanji went from a really cool guy who had a weakness for women into a perverted guy who always goes blood-losing everytime he sees a girl, even to the point where he became one of the trope namers.
- The animations and many minor male characters may be creepy and very ugly appearances and expiressions.
- In Japan, this show has consistently been among the top five animated shows in television viewer ratings.
- On International Online Video Platforms, this show got 1.9 million demand expressions per month in 2016, making it the year's most popular anime, the most popular animated television series and the fourteenth most popular TV show in the world, according to Business Insider.
- The first episode of this show earned a viewer rating of 12.4%, behind Pokémon and ahead of Ojamajo Doremi.