Orange Is the New Black (seasons 1-4, 7)
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
Orange Is The New Black (sometimes abbreviated to OITNB) is an American comedy-drama web television series created by Jenji Kohan for Netflix. The series is based on Piper Kerman's memoir called Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison, about her experiences at FCI Danbury, a minimum-security federal prison.
Piper Chapman is a public relations executive with a career and fiance when her past suddenly catches up to her. In her mid-30s, she is sentenced to spend time in a minimum-security women's prison in Connecticut for her association with a drug runner ten years earlier. Forced to trade power suits for prison orange, Chapman makes her way through the corrections system. She adjusts to life behind bars, making friends with the many eccentric, unusual, and unexpected people she meets.
Why These Seasons Rock
- The show gives a detailed look at women in prison, and how they're treated depending on their race or sexuality.
- It also shows that prisoners are still human, no matter how bad they are.
- The show also gives great transgender representation too with Sophia's character and the episode "Lesbian Request Denied".
- The show also throws in a lot of black comedy throughout the episodes and balances it out with moving moments.
- Every single actor or actress has great performances, especially Taylor Schilling as Piper.
- Laverne Cox's performance as transgender prisoner Sophia Burset is great too.
- All the characters develop throughout the show, and they start becoming good friends with Piper, such as Piper and Crazy Eyes.
- The flashback structure the show uses also helps the characters develop too by giving them a bit of a backstory.
- Tasha is possibly the best character in the show due to her intelligence and circumstances she finds herself in.
- The theme song, "You've Got Time" is catchy.
- The ending of the first episode is pure comedy gold.
- The final season is absolutely moving because of its emotional weight.
- The series finale "Here's Where We Get Off" was an amazing way to end the show.
- Larry, Piper's fianceé, is considered to be the worst part of the show.
- Season 5, while not the worst season, is a bit medicore, and while Season 6 is better, it still isn't really that great.
- While Season 7 is, for the most part, a big improvement on the two previous seasons, its constant attacks on the immigration policies of President Donald Trump can get pretty repetitive (though they at least hold off on mentioning Trump by name).
Orange Is the New Black is one of Netflix's most-watched original series and was widely acclaimed throughout its run. It has been praised for humanizing prisoners and for its depiction of race, sexuality, gender and body types. In 2019, The Gaurdian ranked the show the 65th greatest series of the 21st century.
- This was the fourth original Netflix show and one of the earliest originals ever on the official site, preceeded by House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, and Arrested Development.