Playhouse Disney (formerly Disney Channel Preschool Block from 1997-1999) was a former brand for a slate of programming blocks and international cable and satellite television channels that were owned by the Disney Channels Worldwide unit of The Walt Disney Company's Disney–ABC Television Group. It originated in the United States as a morning program block on the Disney Channel. Aimed mainly at children aged two to seven years old, its programming featured a mix of live-action and animated series.
Why It Helped Us Imagine and Learn and There Was No Telling What It Could Do
- It was the very first preschool block for Disney Channel, and it was great.
- Many of their shows had great animation, both 2D and CGI, especially for their logo. Their live-action shows were also pretty good.
- It was one of the best preschool blocks in history, as it managed to beat out Nick Jr.
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a better main show for the block than their rival Nick Jr.'s Paw Patrol (which, while still good, has it's flaws).
- They have good host characters, like Clay, Ooh, and Aah.
- It had some good intros, as well as a memorable theme song.
- The plots for their shows are out of the box (no pun intended) and original, which makes them enjoyable to watch.
- Cute logo, as it’s the Mickey Mouse head for all variations, similar to Disney Channel’s logo during the same time periods.
- It even managed to have the app-styled logo (the same for Disney Channel) in 2010 until the end of the block in 2011.
- Catchy jingle, which makes you feel relaxed and happy.
- The closing logos for their shows are great.
- They had great well-known shows, like Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, My Friends Tigger & Pooh, and Bear in the Big Blue House.
- Their shows have likable characters, like Mickey Mouse and his friends, and Winnie the Pooh and his friends. But also, Darby, Buster, Toodles, Leo, June, Quincy, Annie, Rocket, Oso, Bear, Manny and the tools, Rich, Dave, Tony, Vivian, Stanley, Elsie, Harry, Dennis, etc.
- The block may have ended in 2011, but it has a great replacement, being Disney Junior.
- The block had some mediocre/bad shows like Go Baby (2004) and Happy Monster Band.
- As a matter of fact, those shows mentioned from above had some unlikable/generic and bland characters like Baby himself, Frred, L.O., Bluz, Ink, Roc, Raoul, La, Dee and Da.
- The end of this block could be unfortunate to some people, especially to those who grew up watching this block.
- The block's final 5 years, 2006-2011, while not terrible, are considered to be the weakest years of the block, as they started to decay due to having less new shows for each year (2009 had 3, 2006 and 2007 had 2 each, 2008 had only 1, and 2010 had no new shows at all unless they had them in Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, Latin America and Canada from the mid-to-late 2000s), and their rebrand and hosts Ooh and Aah had a few flaws (while they were still decent), which caused them to be beaten by Nick Jr./Nickelodeon's Pre-Scool Block during those years. But, when it became Disney Junior, Disney rose back up again.