Programa Raul Gil
Programa Raul Gil is a Brazilian auditorium program hosted by Raul Gil. It premiered on August 18, 1973 on RecordTV (at the time broadcasting only to São Paulo by REI - Rede de Emissoras Independentes), after previous experiences of the presenter in other stations with programs of similar format. The program started to be broadcast in color on June 1, 1974, being Record's first attraction in the new format. Between 1978 and 2005, the show started to leave, than return to RecordTV, ending their cycle on October 29, 2005. On September 2, 1978, it started to be aired at Rede Tupi, until its closure. On September 22, 1981, the program debuted on SBT until November 24, 1984. On April 8, 1988 until sometime in 1991, it was aired on TV Rio. From March 30, 1996 to October 31, 1998, Rede Manchete broadcasted the program. On November 6, 2005, it was aired on Rede Bandeirantes, ending on June 5, 2010. On June 26, 2010, it returned on SBT, now on the high definiton format, replacing the schedule occupied by the Sabadocine film session, and has stayed on there ever since.
Why It Rocks
- On whatever channel Raul Gil was on, his program was very successful with great ratings.
- Raul Gil does a great job presenting his own program.
- Good sketches, such as Pra Quem Você Tira o Chapéu?, Jogo do Banquinho, Homenagem ao Artista, Eu e as Crianças, A Turma do Vovô Raul, and Elas Querem Saber.
- The program revealed famous names, such as Robinson Monteiro, Gabriela Rocha, Simony, Jotta A, Guilherme & Santiago, Jamily, the late Yasmin Gabrielle, and others.
- The guests are very talented.
- Many funny moments, especially with Raul Gil and the kids.
- Memorable openings, and the closing, Obrigado Senhor.
- Depending on your point of view, the program has already been declining many times due to the constant change of channels over the years, besides that Raul Gil (just like Silvio Santos) has aged too much, currently 83 years old, and sometimes the program feels outdated.
- On November 11, 2016, Raul Gil ended his contract with SBT, and his program was almost cancelled, until January 27, 2017, when Silvio Santos realized his mistake, and recontracted Raul Gil.
- On July 15, 2017, Raul Gil made a racist and xenophobic joke about Asians after receiving the South Korean band KARD on his program, making fun about the eyes.
- Like Silvio Santos and Ratinho, Raul has also shown himself on TV as a supporter of President Jair Bolsonaro to the point of praising Bolsonaro during the 2018 Telethon.
- Just like Programa Silvio Santos also lost its national success after the cancellation of the concessions of Rede Tupi on July 18, 1980, until the inauguration of the SBT on August 19, 1981.