Psycho Pass is a action, drama, psychological, science fiction, cyberpunk, mystery anime series written by Gen Urobuchi, directed by Naoyoshi Shiotani and Katsuyuki Motohiro, musically composed by Yugo Kano, and produced by Koji Yamamoto, George Wada, Kenji Tobori, Wakana Okamura, and Production I.G. It began airing on October 12, 2012 and concluded airing March 22, 2013, with a total of 22 episodes.
Why It Rocks
- Gorgeous animation during the most pivotal moments in the series, which include moments that have lots of drama and action, or when characters are being brutally murdered by dominators.
- Very appealing art style which perfectly brings to mind a cyberpunk aesthetic, especially the background art.
- Really stylish opening and ending animations.
- Incredibly interesting and creative concepts regarding not only the technology but also the themes in the story.
- Being written by Gen Urobuchi, Psycho Pass has lots of the trademarks which has made him a famous writer, which includes being incredibly dark in tone, (and visually dark too, for that matter), and putting many of his characters through unthinkable suffering.
- Great, interesting, complex characters.
- Excellent voice acting.
- Good music especially Monster With No Name by Egoist.
- While Akane Tsunemori is kind of a bland, boring, and uninteresting character, she does have one of the most unique moments in this series, which is where she decides to not abolish the Sibyl System, but instead to make it better and fix it's flaws. This was due to the current society of Japan needing it.
- SHINYA KOGAMI!
- Shogo Makishima is one of the best villains in all of anime.
- One of the most unique concepts for a Science Fiction anime, in a genre where most of it has to do with time travel or being warped into a video game. It focuses on artificial inteligeince,surveillance and the morality of criminals.
- The main character, Akane Tsunemori, is kind of bland, boring, and one dimensional, and clearly only exists to be an audience surrogate.
- Despite running for 22 episodes, and being amazing, Psycho Pass didn't live up to the entirety of its potential. There's plenty more ideas that could be explored with the world, the technology, and the themes, Shinya Kogami is on the run, (one of the best characters in the series), and Akane's journey to alter the Sibyl System and make it better. And also why was it that the Sybil System was exactly put into place.
- Its not fully explained how Shogo was able to be invisible to the sybil system.
- Due to production issues after episode 16 it was outsourced to an outside and had a massive downgrade in animation and story quality which the original production team admitted that this was a mistake and they had to remade the episodes for blu ray and dvd formats.
- Season 2 for that matter was not done by Production I.G and it wasn't as good as the first season.
- The villains of season 2 wasn't as good as Shogo or memorable either.
- The plottwist reveal of the true nature of the sybil system did felt tacked on.