Rolie Polie Olie
Rolie Polie Olie is a French-Canadian CGI computer animated television show that is produced by Nelvana and Sparx* in association with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Disney Channel. The show centers on a yellow robot boy named Olie Polie who lives in a teapot-shaped house in a geometric world named Planet Polie with his family.
The show focuses on the Polie Family, who live in a teapot-shaped house in a geometric world called Planet Polie populated by robot-based characters. The stories revolve around a young yellow robot named Olie learning life lessons and going on wacky adventures (either real or imaginative) while growing up. These often include his little sister Zowie, his inventor father, his hard-working mom, his fun-loving grandpa Pappy, and his yellow dog Spot. Although most of the main cast is composed of circular bots, other characters are featured in other shapes, such as Olie's friend Billy Bevel and his family, who are square-shaped bots from Planet Cubey.
Why It Rocks
- The CGI animation is adorable and has aged very well, especially for 1998 standards.
- The theme song is very catchy.
- It spawned into two movies like The Great Defender of Fun and The Baby Bot Chase which served as a great finale to the series.
- Great voice acting with Michael Cera as Little Gizmo and James Woods as Gloomius Maximus.
- The character designs are great.
- Jazzy and silly music.
- Has some good messages for kids about growing up.
- The show stayed 100% faithful to the book that it's based on.
- This show pays homage to pop culture. For example, Space Boy is mostly based on Astro Boy.
- Also, Willy and Wally Jolly are spoofs based on several famous cinematic swashbucklers like Robin Hood, Zorro, and the Three Musketeers.
- Very likable characters like Olie, Zowie, Polina Polie, Percy Polie, Pappy, Spot, Billy Bevel, Pollie Pi, Space Boy, Space Dog, Uncle Gizmo, and mostly Screwy.
- Zowie is so cute and adorable, and so are Coochie and Coo.
- This show really promotes creativity and imagination.
- A lot of funny moments.
- There are some bad episodes like:
- Treasure of the Rolie Polie Madre
- It's a Roundi-ful Life
- The Lie
- But Why?
- Cast Off
- Olie Unsproinged
- Beacon Blinkin' Day
- Screwy is sometimes an unlikeable character.
The show received a IMDb rating of 6.4/10, a TV.com rating of 7.7/10, a Common Sense Media rating of 3/5, and Google user ratings that total up to 93% of people liking the show.