Ruby Gloom is a Canadian animated television series produced by Nelvana and is based on the Mighty Fine apparel franchise character of the same name by cartoonist, Martin Hsu. The series aired on the network YTV from October 13, 2006 to June 1, 2008.
The series focuses on the adventures of Ruby Gloom, a curiously cheerful girl who lives in a gothic mansion along with her friends Skull Boy, Iris, Misery, Frank & Len, Poe, Boo Boo, and Doom Kitty.
Why It Should Look At The Bright Side Of The Dark Side
- Faithful to the source material it’s based on.
- The show has some of the best Flash animation ever, even by late 2006 standards.
- Likeable and funny characters.
- Ruby Gloom is optimistic cheerful girl and always look at the bright side.
- Iris is the go-lucky, hyperactive cyclops
- Misery is a huggable, cute and entertaining comic relief character.
- Frank and Len are enjoyable rocker band brothers
- Skullboy is the jack-of-all-traits
- Doom Kitty is a faithful owner
- Scaredy Bat is a cute and cowardly bat
- Boo Boo is the mischievous yet "cute" prankster
- Poe is the raven who can be obsessed with his image but is caring as well
- Great sense of humour and tons of funny moments.
- Catchy and amazing theme song.
- Wonderful soundtrack.
- Cute character designs
- A lot of good episodes such as Doom Of A View, Unsung Hero, Seeing Things Eye To Eyes, and even the seires finale Last Train To Gloomsville (The 2nd 1 hour special)
- Amazing voice acting.
- Ruby and Skull Boy have a wonderful friendship (or "love") chemistry
- There are good morals in several episodes, for a few examples:
- Always be a friend
- Always try harder
- Help out one another
- Overcoming your fears
- The opening and closing segments are really fun to watch.
- A lot of heart and emotional moments.
- Bizarre and Impressive art-style.
- It was cancelled with only 3 seasons.
- "Ubergloom" and "Bad Hare Day" were bad episodes, but thankfully they're were the only bad episodes.
- The music and most of the backgrounds can get repetitive after a while to some fans.
Despite possibly low ratings, Ruby Gloom received overwhelmingly positive reviews from both critics and audiences who praised it's animation, characters, writing, soundtrack and plot. The series also garnered a cult following with a fan-base even dedicated to it. It recieved a 8.5/10 on TV.com and a 7.5/10 on IMDb.