Sofia the First
Sofia the First is an American 3D computer-animated television series that officially premiered with its first half-hour episode on January 11, 2013. The series pilot made its debut on Disney Channel on November 18, 2012 with a one-hour special. The series stars Modern Family actress Ariel Winter as the voice of the titular character, who is a young girl standing on the verge of becoming a proper, royal princess.
The series follows the adventures of Sofia, a young girl who becomes a princess overnight after her mother marries the king. Sofia tries her best to adapt to her new life being a princess and has her stepbrother and sister James and Amber to help her along with the headmistresses of the Royal Preparatory Academy Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, the Three Good Fairies from Disney’s classic Sleeping Beauty, and when Sofia is at her darkest hours, classic Disney Princesses are there for her whenever Sofia needs help.
Why It Rocks
- Absolutely wonderful CGI animation. It gets better by the later seasons.
- Beautiful background design.
- Occasionally brings back the classic Disney princesses, like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty.
- Teaches valuable lessons about working together, giving second chances to your friends when they mess up, having the proper manners of a princess and cherishing moments while you still have them.
- The characters are adorable, especially Sofia herself.
- Each story in each episode is well-organized. There's no certain protagonist or antagonist, and every character makes mistakes and learns from them.
- Funny moments, such as in The Curse of Princess Ivy when Sofia tells Amber that the amulet can call other princesses when she's in trouble, Amber dramatically says she thinks she may faint and lightly falls down.
- The soundtrack is well written and catchy.
- Some mature plotlines.
- The series finale " Forever Royal " was a great way to end the series.
- some of the villains are interesting and aren't one-sided.
- Might be a little too girly and cheesy for some people.
- Princess Amber and Princess Hildegard are complete brats, being terrible and unlikable characters.
- Sofia could be seen as a Mary-Sue by some people.
- Some bad episodes like Clover Time, Camp Wilderwood, and A Tale of Two Teams.
- The animations in Seasons Two and Three are lighter than those in Season One.
- Purple is the most common and favored color throughout the series due to it being Sofia's signature color.
- At the beginning of the series, the Royal Preparatory Academy's students learn there are one hundred and thirty-eight kingdoms. That does not count two kingdoms revealed throughout the series: Merroway Cove and Hakalo. Only the Royal Family of Enchancia (Princess Sofia and her parents and siblings) knows about these two kingdoms.
- Sofia was the only Princess at Royal Prep to ride a horse, but now Amber does. In "Substitute Cedric", Maya can be seen wearing a Derby uniform.