Sonic Mania Adventures
Sonic Mania Adventures is a 2D cartoon animated mini-series released for free on YouTube over the course of 2018. The series serves as a continuation of Sonic Mania, picking up just after the ending of Sonic Forces from Classic Sonic's perspective. Each episode was uploaded in a roughly monthly schedule.
Why it Rocks
- Sonic Mania Adventures is, like the game it's promoting, a love letter from the fans to the fans of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- It perfectly captures the fun and the antics of all the characters interacting, all without having the need of proper voice acting.
- The plots and stories are well constructed, coherent and kinda unpredictable.
- The animation is clean and bouncy, and the characters are the most expressive we've ever seen in any form of media.
- Some funny moments, like Eggman begging Sonic to untie him by making puppy eyes, Knuckles coming out of nowhere and punching out Metal Sonic (possibly mistaking him for the real Sonic) for stealing the Master Emerald to everyone else's confusion, and of course, Tails choking on a chili dog.
- Moments that are subtle references to the games.
- Great character design, like in Sonic Mania, all characters are wonderfully design and simplified.
- It was sadly confirmed to be non-canon to the Sonic universe.
- Despite its brilliance, it's not very memorable.
- We didn't get to see Sonic in his Super Form. (Though that maybe be excused as it would be for budget reasons)
- It kind of looks more like a set of promos to promote Sonic Mania Plus than a short animated series.
- Due to COPPA policy, you can't give feedback through the comments anymore since Sonic is considered a kids' character.
The series did not sit well with critics and some fans, some audiences loved it, especially fans of the classic Sonic series. It currently holds a 6.9/10 on IMDb. At one point, the series was spammed with 1-star votes on IMDb, presumably by some angry viewer who was so distraught over the series, they wanted to make the series look worse than it actually is by creating more than one thousand sock puppet accounts to hate bomb the series and make it look bad. Eventually, after enough people were talking about the troll brigade, IMDb invalidated most, if not all, of the 1-star votes on the title in order to prevent further hate-bombing, but still display the number of votes prior to the invalidation.