Sonic the Hedgehog (1993 TV Series)
Sonic the Hedgehog (also known as Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic SatAM) is an American animated television series. It was story edited by Len Janson and produced by DiC Entertainment. Made with the partnership of Sega of America, the show is based on the 1991 video game of the same name on the Sega Genesis. The series depicted Sonic as a member of a band of freedom fighters, battling to overthrow Doctor Robotnik. It is the second Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon, following Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and preceding Sonic Underground. The program aired for two seasons on ABC from September 18, 1993 to December 3, 1994. It continued in repeats until 1995.
In a post-apocalyptic and dystopian future, all life has been challenged by oppression and tyranny, as the evil Robotnik is on the wake of controlling Mobius. So then the Freedom fighters with Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn must stop from Robotnik's plan and save Mobius.
Why It Rocks
- Awesome animation.
- It's faithful to the source material, and has some great new creative ideas for an adaptation.
- Awesome characters like Sonic, Princess Sally Acorn, Tails, Bunnie, and Rotor.
- Great character development, mostly from Sally.
- Very funny and even serious moments that use the dark tone.
- Really awesome voice acting, especially from Jaleel White, Jim Cummings, Kath Soucie, Charlie Adler, Christine Cavanaugh and Michael Bell.
- Catchy theme song.
- Cinematic moments.
- Even though he's very generic, Robotnik is a genuinely menacing villain.
- Incredible dark and memorable moments like the season 2 finale.
- This show ended on a huge cliffhanger, as ABC cancelled the show before DiC even bothered to make another season, even though there was a great plot and script already written for that season.
- In the second season, Sonic slowly began to lose his role as the main focus, and it went more towards Sally and the rest of the Freedom Fighters. Antoine especially for some reason.
- Dulcy's appearance in season 2 had no introduction.
- While the other characters are portrayed well, Sonic's, Tails's, Robotnik's, and Antoine's portrayal isn't very strong.
- Sonic can often be very annoying, dorky, unlikable, a bit disrespectful, and he has put his friends in danger a lot in season 2. He also speaks in an incredibly unnecessarily grating 90's slang.
- Tails has been helpful occasionally, but he really doesn't do as much as other portrayals of him.
- Compared to his other portrayals, this version of Robotnik is rather very stereotypical, and lacks the charisma of the other portrayals.
- Antoine is a clumsy and rather arrogant coward who always fails to impress Sally, and he has screwed up plans his team comes up with to battle Robotnik.
- Jaleel White's voice performance as Sonic is great, but he often makes Sonic sound pretty annoying.
- The chemistry between Sonic and Sally is kind of inconsistent. There have been episodes where Sally is portrayed as Sonic's girlfriend, and then episodes after that where she isn't portrayed as Sonic's girlfriend.
- There are some animation errors at times. Like some of the lip syncing is a bit out of place occasionally.