Soul Eater (Japanese: ソウルイーター, Hepburn: Sōru Ītā) is an anime based on the manga with the same name created by Atsushi Ōkubo in Monthly Shōnen Gangan. The series is animated by Studio Bones and directed by Takuya Igarashi.
Set at the "Death Weapon Meister Academy", the series revolves around three teams, each consisting of a weapon meister and (at least one) weapon that can transform into a humanoid. Trying to make the latter a "death scythe" and thus fit for use by the academy's headmaster Shinigami, the personification of death, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and one witch, in that order; otherwise, they will have to start all over again.
Why It Rocks
- Extremely likeable characters such as Maka Albarn, Soul Eater Evans, Death the Kid, Tsubaki Nakatsukasa, Death, Franken Stein, etc.
- Both Openings Resonance and Papermoon are well done as well as the Endings.
- Excellently done music by Taku Iwasaki who also did JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Noragami Aragoto.
- Both the dub and the sub are well received.
- The series at times can have emotional moments such as Crona's childhood where they were being abused by their mother.
- This along with My Hero Academia and both Fullmetal Alchemist anime are one of the reasons why Studio Bones has a good reputation among the anime community.
- The animation is extremely well done especially the fight scenes.
- Both Black Star and Excalibur are extremely annoying
- The fights aren't that interesting compared to other series.
- Since the series at the time caught up with the manga Studio Bones had to add a bunch of filler episodes leading up to the series infamous ending.
- Blair barely does anything in the series and is used as an excuse for fanservice.