Squid Girl, known in Japan as Shinryaku! Ika Musume (侵略!イカ娘, lit. Invade! Squid Girl) with the subtitle "The invader comes from the bottom of the sea!", is a Japanese manga series by Masahiro Anbe, which was serialized in Akita Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Champion between July 2007 and February 2016. An anime television series adaptation by Diomedéa aired on TV Tokyo between October and December 2010, with a second season airing between September and December 2011. Three original video animation (OVA) episodes were released between 2012 and 2014.
A sky blue mermaid-like creature comes to invade (or in her own words, ink-vade) the surface world for revenge for how people treat the ocean. However, her plan backfires and ends up working at the local beach house.
Why It Rocks
- Very fluent and detailed animation.
- Squid Girl herself is a breakout character that steals her own show.
- Both finales of season one and two really are heartwarming are goes in dept with their characters.
- Very unique episode plots.
- The show has a very likable and colorful cast of characters.
- Christine Marie Cabanos (voice of Madoka Kaname in Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Amitie from Puyo Puyo Tetis and Lu from Lu Over The Wall) voiced Squid Girl in both seasons and OVAs.
- Both seasons and OVAs has very catchy intro songs.
- Chizuru is a very hilarious and entertaining character.
- Very well done writting.
- Very catchy soundtrack.
- Squid Girl's squid talk is very fun to hear.
- It was so popular that some items related to the anime appear in some video games, most notably Splatoon.
The Only Bad Quality
- Eiko can be unlikeable at times.