StarBeam is an animated series produced by Vancouver-based Kickstart Entertainment, who also animated Ready Jet Go!. It premiered on Netflix on April 3, 2020.
When villains come out to play, second-grader Zoey transforms into StarBeam, a pint-sized superhero, to save the day.
Why It Rocks
- Decent CGI animation. The facial expressions are also very expressive and some of them even resemble anime.
- Asian representation in the form of Zoey and her family.
- This show also has a rare female superhero origin story (and even an awesome transformation sequence) in a show for preschoolers.
- Zoey is an amazing role model for kids. She has a mantra to help her be confident, and she's relatable as she struggles to balance school and saving the day.
- Good villains such as Miserable Marla, who has a lot of depth.
- Catchy theme song.
- Great lessons for kids.
- The show is very sweet and wholesome, as well as entertaining to watch.
- The scaling is kinda weird, as the adults are almost as short as the kids.
- The last few episodes of season 4 only focused on Stella, a fan of StarBeam, which is pretty rubbish since they were only short episodes and that was it.