Stranger Things is an American science fiction-horror web television series created, written, and directed by the Duffer Brothers.
This thrilling Netflix original drama stars Golden Globe-winning actress, Winona Ryder, as Joyce Byers, who lives in a small Indiana town in 1980s. -- inspired by a time when tales of science fiction captivated audiences. When Joyce's 12-year-old son, Will, goes missing, she launches a investigation into his terrifying disappearance with local authorities. As they search for answers, they unravel a series of extraordinary mysteries involving secret government experiments, unnerving supernatural forces, and a very unusual little girl.
Why It Rocks
- Well-done character and story-development in each and everyone of the show’s episodes.
- Likable, relatable and interesting characters, especially Mike, Lucas, Eleven, Dustin and many more.
- Amazing, well-done and terrifying special effects.
- Very original writing for a Netflix television series.
- Flawless acting and great casting choices from each of the cast members.
- It also began and kicked off the careers and debuts of many child actors, like Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Noah Scnhapp etc.
- Many of the characters have shown to share great chemistry with each other, especially the child and teenage characters.
- Brilliant and amazing soundtrack by Kyle Dixon.
- The Upside Down (from season 1) is a very creepy and bone-chilling world.
- A splendid amount of funny, scary, suspenseful, heart-warming and serious moments, all very-well paced. The show can also have a few creepy X-Files-type vibes here and there.
- A wonderfully creative and original plot for a television series.
- Shawn Levy and the Duffer Brothers have shown to have amazing skills as directors and executive producers.
- An accurate and well-done setting for the 1980s.
- Excellent cinematography.
- Mark Steger does a nightmarish and astounding performance as the Demogorgon.
- The episodes are well-paced and thought up.
- Being set in the 1980s, the show has a couple of nice throwbacks and references that are from the 80s era, like how Mike, Lucas, Will and Dustin dress up like the Ghostbusters.
- The song, “Friend’s Don’t Lie”, is well-sung.
- The costume designs are an awesome embodiment of what 80s fashion looks like.
- The bully characters are unlikeable, bland, and mediocre.
- In Season 2, while not bad, it did get a mean-spirited scene where Hopper punishes his daughter Eleven and she getting no TV, or Eggos and she screams and breaking the windows in her house as a result.
- Season 2 was also the weakest season, with some episodes being on filler level. The season was fine overall though.
- "The Lost Sister" was a pretty weak episode, not the worst, but it could have been better.
- The running gag of Eleven craving Eggo Waffles, while memorable, is also just hidden product placement.