Strawberry Shortcake (2003)
Strawberry Shortcake is an American animated series produced by DiC Entertainment. It is the second installment in the Strawberry Shortcake franchise. The entire series consisted of 44 direct-to-DVD episodes, although the show did air on the Kewlopolis block on CBS.
A girl named Strawberry Shortcake, along with her talking pink cat Custard and her blue and white dog Pupcake, has adventures in friendship in Strawberryland.
Why It Rocks
- Great animation.
- Adorable character designs.
- Likable characters, such as Strawberry, Angel Cake, Ginger Snap, Orange Blossom, Blueberry Muffin, Rainbow Sherbet, Coco Calypso, and Seaberry Delight. Even jerks like Crepes Suzette, Frosty Puff, Tea Blossom, Tangerina Torta, Raspberry Torte, Lemon Merengue, Peppermint Fizz, Huckleberry Pie, and Lime Light are likable.
- Cool villains, such as the Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak and Sour Grapes.
- Apple Dumplin', Honey Pie Pony, Custard, and Pupcake are cute characters.
- Catchy theme song.
- In fact, all of the songs (there are two songs in every episode) from the series are awesome (so much so that there are several soundtrack albums).
- It managed to get a feature film called The Sweet Dreams Movie that was released theatrically (in select cities).
- All the episodes have great morals to take away from them, such as being a good sport and not judging a book by its cover.
- Decent plots.
- While it was pretty strong to begin with, it started to get even better when season four came out in 2008, with revamped character designs, more interesting and high-stakes stories, and more important lessons.
- Funny moments, such as these lines from "The Blueberry Beast".
- Custard: "Unless, it's a bear pretending to be a frog."
- Orange Blossom: "Or a lion acting like a bear pretending to be a frog!"
- Angel Cake: "Or a tiger who wants to think he's a lion acting like a bear pretending to be a frog!"
- The first four episodes have weird character designs.
- Strawberry is a bit of a Mary-Sue.
- The voice acting for the some of the characters isn't that good.
- The Arabic dub was not well received.