Superbook, also known as Animated Parent and Child Theatre (アニメ 親子劇場 Anime Oyako Gekijō), is an anime television series from the early 1980s. Initially produced by Tatsunoko Productions in Japan in conjunction with the Christian Broadcasting Network in the United States and more recently solely produced by CBN for global distribution and broadcast.
The series chronicled the events of the Bible's Old and New Testaments in its 52-episode run.
The first 26 episodes aired from October 1, 1981 to March 25, 1982. The series returned as Superbook II (パソコントラベル探偵団 Pasokon Toraberu Tanteidan, lit. Personal Computer Travel Detective Team) with 26 episodes to air from April 4, 1983 to September 26, 1983. Between both series in the first run was the companion series The Flying House. The Christian Broadcasting Network is producing a new Superbook series and has released 4 seasons. CBN is distributing the first season for free on their Superbook Kid's Website.The series focusing about a boy named Christopher Pepper who and his friend Joy finds a book called Superbook and the travel through the Bible along with Chris's toy Gizmo.
Why It Rocks
- Does great job in telling the story of the Bible.
- Chris and joy are likeable characters
- Amazing opening and ending
- It doesn't rush to teach kids lessons like some religious shows do.
- Great plots
- Great animation
- Season 2, while not terrible, wasn't as good as the previous season.
- Chris's father can be unlikeable at times.