Taina is an American sitcom created by Maria Perez-Brown that originally ran on Nickelodeon from January 14, 2001, to May 11, 2002. It was originally filmed at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida and was the last sitcom to be filmed there before being later moved over to the Nickelodeon on Sunset in Hollywood for its second season. Despite high ratings, the series only lasted for two seasons before being cancelled in 2002 due in part to increasing production costs.
Taina Morales is a young Latina teenager who aspires to be a singer and actress. She and her best friend Renee Jones attend the Manhattan High School of the Performing Arts, where they reunite with Lamar, whom they haven't seen since elementary school. The girls' nemesis Maritza Hogg, who knew them before high school, also attends the performing-arts school and hopes to be a singer/actress. Every episode features Taina daydreaming of eventual superstardom and occasionally performing a new song.
Why It Rocks
- Great soundtrack especially the theme song.
- Great acting.
- There are some funny moments in the episodes.
- Great morals here and there.
- Likeable characters such as Taina, Renee, Lamar, Daniel and Taina's family.
- One of Nickelodeon‘s best shows, focusing on the diversity, alongside with The Brothers Garcia, Kenan & Kel, Just Jordan and Romeo! .
- People say that the show is a rip-off of Victorious (another show on Nickelodeon) which has some of the same concept. This isn’t too bad though, since Victorious didn’t exist yet during the time this show was made.
- The characters can be unlikable and stereotypical at times.