The Art of Darkness (Good Eats)
The Art of Darkness is the 13th episode and first season finale of Good Eats. Chocolate is the main theme of this episode.
Asked by the network to produce a chocolate themed episode, Alton spends his nights in online chat rooms for research on chocolate and soon finds an e-mail asking him to head to the Cacao Tree (known as Theobroma Cacao which translates to Food of the Gods) at the local botanical garden... alone!
Why it Rocks
- Chocolate... chocolate... chocolate.... CHOCOLATE! Oh did I mention chocolate?
- Two recipes to be learned in this episode. Find the recipes here.
- In addition to recipes, learn the process to how cocoa beans are transformed into the most magical food ever created.
- The techniques Alton teaches as he makes the mousse (whipping cream, melting chocolate and folding light and airy substances into thick gooey batters) is useful for tons of other desserts such as souffles and cupcakes.
- A sort of crossover with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- The Chocolate Lava Muffins not only use melted chocolate, but cocoa powder for rich deep chocolate.
- A brief history of the Aztecs and Cortez.