The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (seasons 1-4)
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (also known as Billy & Mandy) is an American animated television series created by Maxwell Atoms for Cartoon Network. It follows two children named Billy—a slow-witted boy—and Mandy—the cynical best friend—who, after winning a limbo game to save Billy's pet hamster, gain the mighty Grim Reaper as their best friend in eternal servitude and slavery.
Billy and Mandy are a mismatched pair of youngsters who befriend the Grim Reaper after winning a limbo contest against him. Since the Grim Reaper lost, he has to be their friend forever, and the three go on adventures together. Between school, family and visitors from the spirit world, Billy and Mandy sometimes need help to clean up the messes they get themselves into, and that's where Hoss Delgado comes in. Hoss and the Grim Reaper are not friends, and with Mandy's bossy nature and Billy's curious and funny attitude escapades ensue.
Why These Seasons aren't Grim
- It is a great spin-off of the short-lived Grim & Evil original series, is even more popular than its sister show, Evil Con Carne, which is also good.
- Memorable characters such as Billy, Mandy, the Grim Reaper, Irwin, Billy's parents, Principal Goodvibes, Hoss Delgado, Eris, Jeff the Spider, Nergal, Nergal Jr., Fred Fredburger, and Dracula.
- The intro and outro sequences are catchy.
- Creative, adventurous, and memorable episode plots, such as:
- "Meet the Reaper" (the pilot episode)
- "Little Rock of Horrors"
- "To Eris Human"
- "Dream a Little Dream"
- "Brown Evil"
- "Who Killed Who?"
- "Billy & Mandy's Jacked-Up Halloween" (the Halloween special)
- "The Crawling Niceness"
- "Attack of the Clowns"
- "My Peeps"
- "Dream Mutt"
- "My Fair Mandy"
- "Prank Call of Cthulu"
- "Billy & Mandy Save Christmas" (the Christmas special)
- Amazing voice acting.
- Hilarious slapstick humor, especially from Billy and Grim.
- Great sense of horror, as the monsters and villains in the show are delightfully creepy for its rating.
- Great Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and Bob Clampett inspired gags and humor from the Golden Age of Animation.
- Great shout outs to other popular media like shows by Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon Network.
- "DESTROY US ALL!!!"
- It excessively overuses gross-out and toilet humor. Additionally, it gets pretty mean-spirited, annoying, dumb, juvenile, and corny at times.
- Some characterizations are flawed:
- Following the Grim & Evil era, Billy's dad, Harold, changed from an essentially intelligent, laidback, and goodhearted father, into a bumbling idiot, up to the point of being even dumber and grosser than his own son. Though he can be funny, depending on your opinion of him.
- Whenever Sir Raven screeches out loud something he just mentioned or something about the topic, it can get annoyingly ear-piercing.
- Sometimes, Billy's idiotic and disgusting habits and Mandy's bossy attitude makes them very unlikable, even to the point of the two mistreating Grim and/or everyone else for no discernible reason.
- Other characters like Mindy, Sperg, Nigel Planter, and the Boogeyman are unlikable as well.
- The show went downhill in its final two seasons, Seasons 5 and 6, as during which, Billy and Mandy got flanderized and became more unlikable.
- Very lack of continuity and consistency, as many episodes end with characters killed, exiled, or stuck in a situation. Characters sometimes display an awareness of some events from previous episodes, but there are no clear character arcs or coherent plot lines tying the show together.
- This show has 3 collections of Shorts. “Irwin Hearts Mandy”, “Billy’s Birthday” and Mainline shorts.
- In India, the english version of the show was never aired and Cartoon Network India instead aired an Indian version. They first aired The series under the name "Billy Mandy Aur Life Main Haddi" (which literally translates to "Billy, Mandy and Bone in life") which was not succesful. Then, in November 2014 they re-aired the show under the name "Haddi Mera Buddy" (which literally translates to "Bone my Buddy") which went on become the second highest rated show on Cartoon Network India. In this dub, they air the Indian English version where it is dubbed by Indian dubbing artists.