The Magic School Bus
The Magic School Bus is a Canadian-American Saturday morning animated children's television series, based on the book series of the same name by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen.
Miss Frizzle takes her class on a field trip, but this won't be a normal field trip as the bus can transform into a plane, submarine, spaceship, even a surfboard, this bus carries Miss Frizzle and her students on incredible adventures and teaches them about space, wildlife and the human body.
Why It's Crusin Down on Main Street
- The show stays 100% faithful to the book series.
- Nice animation that fits the artstyle of the book series. However, the only difference is that Dorothy Ann in the book series wears (a yellow shirt and pink plaid skirt), while in the TV series (she wears a violet sweater and a teal skirt).
- It manages to educate and entertain children very well with its whimsical tone.
- Nice voice acting. Lily Tomlin was excellent as Miss Frizzle.
- Funny and memorable catchphrases. Most notably Arnold's "I knew i should have stayed home today" and Dorothy Ann's "According to my research..." and of course, "CARLOS!".
- Amazing theme song.
- Wanda Li's tomboyish personality and her most iconic tomboyish outfit are so cute and adorable.
- Several likable characters, such as Miss Frizzle, Liz, Arnold, Ralphie, Phoebe, Dorothy Ann, Carlos, Tim, Wanda, and Keesha.
- The show is very anti-vegan as seen in episodes like "Gets Eaten" where they show how animals eating other animals is part of nature, or "In a Beehive" where they mention how honey farms always make sure bees have enough honey to survive, and being anti-vegan is always a W.
- Each of the kids has their own personality:
- Arnold is a worrisome kid who wants to have a normal field trip.
- Carlos is the class clown.
- Ralphie is imaginative and fun-loving.
- Tim is laid-back and artistic.
- Wanda is a very joyful tomboy.
- Phoebe is sweet and nature-loving.
- Dorothy Ann is the intelligent one.
- Keesha is level-headed and realistic.
- Miss Frizzle can be really disturbing and strange at times, as she drives the kids into dangerous situations.
- Arnold's cousin Janet can be pretty unlikable at times. Not only Janet, some of the main characters can also be unlikeable at times such as Keesha and Wanda.
- There can be some gross-out scenes in some episodes such as For Lunch, The Busasaurus, In a Pickle, and Makes A Stink, as well as some other disturbing scenes in some episodes.
- "For Lunch" might have had a gross-out scene in the part where the bus, the class, and Miss Frizzle enter Arnold's large intestine. It physically showed feces (meaning it showed poop) falling from the roof of Arnold's large intestine.
- Arnold's rotten tomato is also an example of disguising imagery, as well as the suspenseful scene and music playing in the background where the tomato juice started to erupt from the tomato in "In A Pickle" which can somewhat frighten younger viewers.
- The scene in the first episode "Gets Lost in Space" where Arnold purposely takes off his helmet on Pluto and freezes is quite disturbing and unfitting for a kids' show.
- The entering of Janet's nose in the Season 4 episode "Makes A Stink" with the mucus (or snot by Carlos), as well as his snot joke.
- The dinosaur scene where it vomits on Carlos and Tim in the episode of Season 2, and the one of the best episodes of the show "The Busasaurus."
- Some information is either outdated, false, or both.
- For example, Dorothy claims that the world and everything in it are made of molecules in "The Magic School Bus Makes a Stink". In real life, the only things made of molecules are known as matter and the sense of smell is not one of them.
- Netflix ruined the series with a reboot that has a very poor understanding of the source material.