Tokyo Mew Mew
Tokyo Mew Mew (東京ミュウミュウ Tōkyō Myū Myū) is an magical girl anime about five magical girls with the DNA of endangered animals that save the earth from aliens. It is an adaptation of an Japanese shōjo manga series written by Reiko Yoshida and illustrated by Mia Ikumi.
Why It Rocks
- A nice and interesting concept of the main protagonists being infused with animal DNA.
- Great dynamic between the Mew Mews.
- Wonderfully and cute animated transformations.
- The backgrounds are beautifully designed.
- Catchy opening and ending songs.
- The voice acting is very well done.
- Lovable and great characters, including:
- Ichigo Momomiya/Mew Ichigo
- Minto Aizawa/Mew Mint
- Retasu Midorikawa/Mew Lettuce
- Bu-Ling Huang/Mew Pudding
- Zakuro Fujiwara/Mew Zakuro
- The widely-hated Berry Shirayuki/Mew Berry from Tokyo Mew Mew à la Mode doesn't appear.
- The sequel, Tokyo Mew Mew New, was very well-received, with a new concept, new animation, new transformations, new backgrounds, and the new character designs of the Mew Mews.
- The English dub was not well received, as it either changed or cut out many emotional scenes and suffered Americanization (Japanese names changed, Japanese foods swapped out for Western ones, etc).
- Season 2 and the sequel weren't released outside of Japan.