Total Drama (Seasons 1-4)
Total Drama is a Canadian animated comedy television series which is a homage and parody to common conventions from reality television. The show and its sequel seasons are collectively referred to as the Total Drama series. It premiered on the Canadian cable channel Teletoon on July 9th, 2007, and on the American cable television channel Cartoon Network on June 5, 2008.
A group of Canadian teenagers competes in a reality show in a parody of reality shows. Everything about the genre is parodied here including the challenges, rules, surprise catches, romances, alliances, back-stabbing, eliminations, confessions, and all around insanity.
Why These Seasons Rock
- The characters are purposely presented as one-dimensional stereotypes, because that's what producers of real reality shows often do to people through judicious editing.
- Outside of the gross-out jokes, the show excels at random and surreal comedy.
- The animation is very decent for its time.
- Good voice acting.
- The high contestant count gave way for a lot of different plots, interactions, and character dynamics.
- The character designs are unique and well-made, especially Lindsay's.
- Chris McLean is, although cruel at times, a charming and entertaining character, especially for a reality show host.
- The series parodies all the tropes of reality shows like Survivor or Big Brother, resulting in a comedic and a more exaggerated take on the genre.
- The show practically saved Cartoon Network from the rut during the channel's live-action show phase, paving a way for more teen-targeted shows like Regular Show to be created.
- The show also started an online and cult phenomenon with fan theories, predictions, and analysis videos like cartoons in the future would do.
- The theme song is really catchy.
- The challenges are not only pretty cool, but also pretty dangerous to watch.
- The writing is pretty lackluster, an example is for a ton of comedic scenes, there is a fart joke following it.
- On that topic, there is some gross-out humor throughout the show (most of it courtesy of Owen).
- Some censorship in the American broadcast, resulting in a watered down copy of the original.
- Total Drama All-Stars, Total Drama: Pahkitew Island and Total DramaRama can range to mediocre to just plain crappy.
- The love triangle between Courtney, Gwen and Duncan is stretched out too far.
- Starting with "All-Stars", the theme song was cut down to 20 seconds per Cartoon Network's decision.
- In regards to WIR#7, Chris' behavior would also take a massive nosedive in All-Stars and Pahkitew Island, even though he was supposed to be on parole for the events of Revenge of the Island.
- Even before season 5, there were still bad episodes like 3:10 to Crazytown.
- The show served as an inspiration for Battle for Dream Island.
- The show's art style was inspired by Clone High.
- On February 2021, it's been confirmed that two new seasons will air on HBO Max and Cartoon Network.