This is a draft of an upcoming article (this) that I would like to create. If you think the reasonings are generic, you are welcome to edit here to improve!
The Transformers was an animated television series made by Sunbow Productions and distributed by Claster Television in the United States (and the Sunbow itself internationally). The show first aired during 1984 to 1987. Is the beginning of the Generation 1 and the franchise, as well first of many series who would arrive later (like Beast Wars, Animated and Prime).
During the great Cybertronian War, the Autobots and the Decepticons crash landed on Earth. Millions of years later, geological activity revives the warring factions - the Decepticons want to strip Earth of its vast energy resources, and the Autobots seek to protect the inhabitants of Earth from that fate. And so an endless battle begins in a crucial race to find an energy source for their homeworld Cybertron.
Why It Rocks
- Memorable characters such as Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Megatron, Starscrean, Soundwave, etc.
- Excellent voice acting, especially for Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) and Frank Welker (Megatron).
- Great soundtrack and a catchy main theme.
- The designs of the robots are very awesome for 1980's.
- Good animation (especially in the first 2 seasons) made by Toei Animation (known for Dragon Ball franchise, Sailor Moon, Digimon Adventure, Mazinger Z, etc.)
- Bold and fitting backgrounds and colours
- Cool narration by Victor Caroli
- He received an GMW!
- Great dialogues and quotes, such as: "Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error."
- The writting is intelligent and humorous, ending up with interesting story arcs and great episodes, like as:
- Fire In The Sky
- Heavy Metal War
- Starscream's Brigade
- The Search For Alpha Trion
- War Dawn
- Dark Awakening
- Call Of The Primitives
- The Return Of Optimus Prime
- Have some bad episodes, such as:
- Carnage In C-Minor
- Nightmare Planet
- The Face Of Nijika
- Suprise Party
- The dialogue sometimes can be cheesy.
- It has animation errors in several episodes (this is even more notable in season 3 and 4).
- Some continuity errors can be found.
- Due to what happened with Optimus Prime in GMW, it was replaced by Rodimus Prime (Hot Rod), who was not so charismatic like Optimus.
- There were some chapters of the Season 2 where the animation was made by AKOM, being not as great the one made by Toei (Although there are some episodes of AKOM that its animation is decent)
- For some reason, the animation of Season 3 stopped being made mainly by Toei, resulting in both Toei and AKOM doing it, which made the animation quality of the episodes vary from being great to being quite strange
- Finally, the quality of the animation has declined a lot during the last season (The Rebirth)
- Animation and scripting quality begins to decline in Season 3 (Although there are still some good episodes, as well as it the Season could be enjoyable for various G1 fans and viewers)
- Originally, "The Rebirth. Part 1" episode was going to be the premiere of the fourth season (implying that it could be the first of various new episodes), but due to poor declining interest, it ended up being the first of only three final episodes.