Wakfu is a French animated television series that began to air in 2008. It is based on the MMORPGs Dofus and Wakfu. Though it aired as early as 2008, it didn't get much exposure in other countries until Netflix picked it up.
It is the story of young eliatrope Yugo, who travels with Ruel, Percedal, Evangelyne, Amalia, and his tofu Az.
Why The French Also Good For Making Animated Shows Like This
- Smooth, fluid, and highly-detailed animation, especially by Adobe Flash standards.
- Animesque and often cute character designs.
- Very cool and intense action scenes with stellar visual effects.
- Very memorable characters (good or bad) like Yugo, Az, Percedal, Evangelyne, and Amalia.
- Cool and legitimately threatening villains, with Nox as a shining example.
- A great theme song.
- The show excels at both comedy and drama. Many scenes are hilarious, while others can get downright heartbreaking.
- Occasional gross-out humor, many of which revolve around Ruel's poor hygiene.
- Plenty of moments that really don't belong in a children's show (one episode begins with an extremely suggestive dance between Percedal and Evangelyne, which actually dons the page image for the TV Trope "Mating Dance"). While these can be excused by the fact that the show is French, some moments push the boundaries even by France's looser standards.
- Some unlikable characters, like Amalia.
Despite being somewhat obscure outside France, the series is very well-liked by most people who have watched it. It had a kickstarter for a fourth season that reached its goal within an hour.
It currently sits at an impressive 8.2/10 on IMDb.