Who Will Be the Family Wizard (Wizards of Waverly Place)
Who Will Be the Family Wizard is the 27th and final episode of Season 4 of Wizards of Waverly Place and the 106th episode overall, as well as the series finale.
The Russo siblings — Alex, Justin, and Max — face a sudden and ultimate test to determine which one of them will be entitled to keep their wizardly powers. Meanwhile, Jerry decides to close down the family business.
Why It Rocks
- This finale is actually a comedic, heartwarming, silly, lighthearted, and yet, charming one, especially when considering the fact that this happened after the show’s downfall.
- All of the characters, especially Alex, Justin, and Max, all act like their old lovable selves before they were flanderized.
- The episode starts off good with Alex making her family’s dinner without magic, and that was enough to get the Russo children to compete in the Family Wizard Competition.
- The way the children use their time outs to defeat griffins and save a kidnapped Harper and Zeke was good, and heartwarming too, as saving friends is always important, and Alex shows her loving friendship with her best friend again, which is awesome, considering the fact that Alex wasn’t the greatest friend to Harper for most of this awful season.
- It was nice that the Russos rescued their friends, but this resulted in them being "disqualified" because the rescue took too long, thus, losing their lair and all their magic. This resulted in an emotional fight between the family because Alex wanted to save their friends, and they were all convinced the family is now ruined without their powers, and Jerry sells the Sub Shop. This is family karma done right.
- There were a few weeks that the kids went without magic, and within that time, they actually bonded as a family, reopened the Sub Shop, and learned to work together, which was great and very heartwarming, and definitely one of this bad season’s better moments.
- The Family Wizard Competition was great and interesting, as when the Russos returned to the area of the competition, Rootie Tootietootie revealed that the Griffin attack and the few weeks without magic was a test to see if the Russos still had their family bond, and they passed, nice surprise.
- The rounds of the competition were all awesome, the first one was a trivia round, the second was a non magic round, the third was a correcting round, and the final round is a massive maze one.
- The Russo kids were all awesome during the competition, and even though Justin won, he admitted that Alex helped him near the end when he got stuck on a tree root, so he gives the title of Family Wizard to his sister, which was sweet and heartwarming.
- An amazing ending where Alex is the Family Wizard, Justin becomes a full Headmaster Wizard of Wiz-Tech, thanks to Professor Crumbs retiring and giving him the position for Justin’s smart brain and his decision to give his sister the Family Wizard title, and Max accepting that he is no longer a Wizard, and happily accepting the Sub Shop the Russo kid’s dad, Jerry, will pass down someday. And the series ends with Alex saying that the family is now finally all happy at the same time, which is heartwarming.
- This episode was a perfect way to end the terrible Season 4, as well as the series all together, and this is the most watched series finale in Disney Channel history, along with Fish Hooks "The Big Woo"!
The Only Bad Quality
- The part where Professor Crumbs was announcing that he was retiring and looking for a replacement head wizard, comes completely out of nowhere, never gets built up to in the series, and just seems like an excuse for more than one Russo to be able to keep their wizard powers.